Sunday, March 23, 2014

Life of a Broke Foodie #1: 3.6.9. Shanghai Restaurant

So there are months where I completely obliterated my bank account, this month is one of them. Considering how often this happens I reckon there will be many more broke foodie posts to come. I've passed by 3.6.9. Shanghai Restaurant several times in Wan Chai but never really bothered to look at what they had to offer. A taxi driver recommended this place to me, told me it was his "canteen", so I thought I'd check it out. I went there a week ago, I think it was March 12th. It's a small restaurant and the interior has a local Hong Kong cafe/dai pai dong-ish feel to it, but for some reason they have all their round tables covered in bright red table cloth, I found that a bit funny.

My companion and I came in for dinner and luckily they had an English menu, phew. Super long menu though, it looked like they had over 200 dishes to choose from and took me quite some time to get through it all. Finally, I set my eyes on something that was called Chicken in Sour Chilli Garlic Sauce and I ordered it with a bowl of rice. They served us some hot tea while we were waiting but when I asked for some ice lemon tea they said they don't do it (slight bummer, I need my daily dosage of ILT!). Anyhow, the food took about ten to fifteen minutes to get to our table and this is what it looked like. 


The sticky sweet spicy sauce (very little sourness) coated the moist tender pieces of chicken and it tasted amazing! To my surprise the chicken came with bamboo shoots which were cooked just right and added texture and crunch to the overall dish. The pictures doesn't show the whole plate but the portion is large enough to share between two bowls of rice. 

Chicken dish was HKD 68 and one bowl of rice is HKD 12, not bad at all when you are sharing it with someone! I left the restaurant with a very full and happy belly AND my wallet didn't suffer from much damage, SCORE! I have a feeling I will be visiting this place very often. Next on my list to eat here is their Xiao Long Baos! Almost everyone was ordering it at the restaurant.

30-32 O'Brien Road, Wan Chai, Hong Kong

2 comments:

  1. OpenRice is the Yelp of Asia. It shows a city’s most popular restaurants, ratings, menus, booking numbers, and everything in between. It’s widespread
    in Southeast Asia and a better resource than Yelp. It has listings for Hong Kong, Malaysia, Indonesia, Singapore, Thailand, and the Philippines. The app
    puts the power of the website at your fingertips.
    App Name: OpenRice

    ReplyDelete
  2. OpenRice is the Yelp of Asia. It shows a city’s most popular restaurants, ratings, menus, booking numbers, and everything in between. It’s widespread
    in Southeast Asia and a better resource than Yelp. It has listings for Hong Kong, Malaysia, Indonesia, Singapore, Thailand, and the Philippines. The app
    puts the power of the website at your fingertips.
    App Name: OpenRice

    ReplyDelete